Family celebrates toy safety law

Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008

WASHINGTON - Colton Burkhart was just 4 when he swallowed a quarter-size medallion that nearly took his life.

He didn't choke on it. But the metal trinket from a gumball-type machine contained 39 percent lead, and nearly five years later - after surgery to remove the toy, batteries of tests and therapy - the Oregon boy still has elevated levels of lead in his body and some short-term memory loss.

Colton's ordeal helped hasten recalls last year of millions of Chinese-produced toys, from Barbie doll accessories to Thomas the Tank Engine. And now his family is celebrating a new law that bans lead from children's toys.

President Bush is expected to sign it this week, two weeks after Congress approved the measure.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING