Pavlof Volcano near Cold Bay erupts
Sound off on the important issues at
ANCHORAGE - Pavlof Volcano, a volcano near Cold Bay that is one of the most active in the Aleutian Rim of Fire, is spewing molten rock in what could be a buildup to a bigger explosion, according to scientists.
People aboard a fishing boat reported seeing incandescent blocks falling down the volcano's east-southeast flank early Wednesday, the Alaska Volcano Observatory reported.
The observatory had already issued advisories saying the volcano was showing increased activity based on heat readings by weather satellites and earthquake signals from sensors on the mountain.
Killed Fort Wainwright soldiers identified
FORT WAINWRIGHT - The Department of Defense on Thursday released the identities of the five Fort Wainwright soldiers killed when their helicopter crashed in Iraq.
The Department of Defense identified the victims as:
- Chief Warrant Officer Christopher C. Johnson, 31, of Michigan.
- Chief Warrant Officer Jackie L. McFarlane Jr., 30, of Virginia Beach, Va.
- Staff Sgt. Sean P. Fisher, 29, of Santee, Calif.
- Staff Sgt. Stanley B. Reynolds, 37, of Rock, W.V., and
- Spc. Steven R. Jewell, 36, of Bridgeton, N.C.
The helicopter crashed Tuesday in Al Taqqadum, Iraq.
All five were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment, Task Force 49, Fort Wainwright.
The incident is under investigation, officials said.