Alaska Briefs

Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003

Local man jailed after downtown attack

JUNEAU - A 35-year-old Juneau man was arrested for two counts of third-degree assault, one count of fourth-degree assault, one count of third-degree criminal mischief and two counts of harassment after reportedly biting a man's finger and threatening two men with a knife Saturday evening near the Glory Hole.

Juneau Police received a complaint of someone throwing a mattress out the window of a residence behind the Glory Hole at 8:44 p.m. Saturday. Police arrived and found Darrell Wilson yelling at people inside the Glory Hole. He was bleeding profusely from a large wound on his forehead and deliberately spraying people with his blood, police said. He claimed that a man in the house behind the Glory Hole had stabbed him.

Police spoke to two men in the house behind the Glory Hole. Both said Wilson threw two mattresses out the window of the house, then attacked one of the men and bit the man's finger. According to the police report, after the fight, Wilson produced a knife and threatened to cut the men. Wilson advanced and one of the men hit him in the head with a rasp.

Wilson was transported to Bartlett Regional Hospital and treated for his injuries, then placed under arrest and lodged at Lemon Creek Correctional Center on no bail. The man with the finger bite was also treated at Bartlett.

All three men were intoxicated. Investigation continues.

Clerk certifies consolidation petition

KETCHIKAN - A petition that would start the process of consolidating Ketchikan's two local governments was certified Thursday by the Ketchikan Gateway Borough Clerk.

The petition calls for voters to decide whether a commission should be formed to draft a charter for consolidation of the borough and city of Ketchikan.

Before the issue can go on the October ballot, the Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly must approve the proposed ballot language, said Deputy Borough Clerk Kacie Paxton. The Assembly will consider the issue when it meets Monday.

If voters agree to form a charter commission, a special election would be held in January to elect the seven-member commission.

Once a charter is submitted to the state Local Boundary Commission, it would take at least a year of reviews and public comments before the state would hold an election on the question of consolidation, said Dan Bockhorst of the Local Boundary Commission.

The Ketchikan One Government Committee, a subcommittee of the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce board, is spearheading the consolidation effort.

Acoustic basses needed

JUNEAU - The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council needs people to loan acoustic basses for a children's bluegrass camp this week.

Call 586-2787 if you can help.

Cruise passengers report illness

KETCHIKAN - A gastrointestinal virus has infected about two dozen passengers on a Holland America Cruise Lines ship that docked Thursday in Ketchikan.

Cruise line officials wouldn't say how many passengers on the Amsterdam were ill, but SuAnn Jenkinson of the state epidemiology lab in Anchorage estimated the number infected at 25, including a crew member.

Jenkinson had been in contact with the cruise line's chief medical officer. She said the number of cases didn't reach the 3 percent threshold that triggers a response from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Rose Abello, vice president of public relations for Holland America Cruise Lines, said an undisclosed number of ill passengers were removed from the ship at stops in Sitka and Juneau and flown home at the cruise line's expense.

In addition to removing infected passengers, Abello said, crew members have been cleaning the ship regularly and asking passengers to wash their hands often.

Abello said the virus has not been identified, so she could not say whether it is Norwalk-like .

The Amsterdam was one of several ships that experienced infections last year during Caribbean cruises. Outbreaks also occurred on the Holland America ship Statendam and the Disney cruise ship Magic.

The first report of the recent illness came within 24 hours after the ship left the Seattle port, Abello said.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us