Alaska Digest

Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006

Ketchikan man charged with arson

Sound off on the important issues at

KETCHIKAN - A man suspected of starting five fires near Ketchikan in 2003 and 2004 has been charged with burning down a home in July.

Marcus R. Anderson, 26, was charged Thursday with first-degree arson in the destruction of an unoccupied house in Saxman.

The charges in 2003 and 2004 were dismissed for lack of timely prosecution.

Twenty-two firefighters responded to the July fire. One was injured and treated at Ketchikan General Hospital, according to Alaska State Troopers.

The South Tongass Volunteer Fire Department told troopers Aug. 8 that the Coho Road fire was considered suspicious because no power was supplied to the house and it had not been occupied for several years.

Investigators determined the fire started when an incendiary device or material was applied to a wad of newspapers.

Court says men can press abuse claims

FAIRBANKS - Six men who claimed they were abused decades ago by a now-dead Catholic priest can argue that the statute of limitations has not expired, the Alaska Supreme Court ruled.

Justices on Friday said the men can make their claim that a statute of limitations does not apply for events that date as far back as 1954.

The six men number among 20 unidentified men who claim they were sexually abused as children by the Rev. Jules Convert, a French Jesuit priest employed by the Fairbanks diocese from 1942 to 1980. Of the 20 complainants, two have settled out of court with the diocese.

Both sides of the case have been waiting almost two years for the state's highest court to rule on the statute of limitations question.

Convicted murderer sentenced to 42 years

ANCHORAGE - A man convicted of killing two people in separate shootings was sentenced to 42 years in prison under a plea agreement worked out with prosecutors.

Antonio Garrison, 42, who killed two people months apart more than five years ago, will spend at least 28 years in prison, counting what he has served.

Garrison was sentenced Friday for killing Paul Clinton, 40, a used car dealer, and Tawni Williams, 50, described by relatives and friends as a giving person.

Garrison pleaded no contest in April to two counts of second-degree murder.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us