Juneau-Douglas High School cross-country runners Carly Craig, Tyler Dinnan, Wesley Dinnan, Tristan Knutson-Lombardo and Greta Thibodeau joined forces to take sixth place at last Saturday's Bartlett Relays in Anchorage.
The Crimson Bear quintet covered the 2-mile course in 1 hour, 2 minutes, 25 seconds - the sum of their individual times. A team from Chugiak High School won in 1:00:34. The event featured water hazards, hay bales and logs on a muddy course.
At last year's Bartlett Relays, the top Juneau team finished ninth, in 1:02:45.
Three other Juneau teams competed in this year's race, for a total of 20 Crimson Bear runners. Tim Davin, Jordan Harvey, Justin Jones, Jordan Moser and Brian Smith led the way with a time of 1:04:32, good for 13th place. Juneau's other teams finished 23rd and 27th.
"It was a really good team performance," Juneau coach Guy Thibodeau said. "It shows we've got a good competitive balance" throughout the roster.
The event drew nearly 100 teams from 22 schools. 241 boys and 238 girls finished the course.
The Crimson Bear boys had three runners place in the top 20 for individual times. Knutson-Lombardo, a junior, was the top Juneau finisher, taking seventh place with a time of 11 minutes, 7.5 seconds. Sophomore Tyler Dinnan was 11th in 11:21.40, and Davin, a senior, finished 16th in 11:29.00.
Guy Thibodeau was pleased with the performance of Davin, a co-captain for the Crimson Bears.
"He had a fantastic race," Thibodeau said. "It was a big group up front, and he hung right up there."
For the Juneau girls, Craig, a sophomore, was the top individual finisher with a time of 13:52.60, good for 21st place overall. She was followed closely by Moser, a sophomore, in 13:56.70 (23rd) and senior Greta Thibodeau in 13:59.00 (24th).
This weekend the Crimson Bears travel to the first Southeast meet of the season, in Ketchikan. Knutson-Lombardo and Craig will not run this weekend as they recuperate from injuries.
The host Kayhi Kings will join the Crimson Bears at the meet. Other teams that may send runners to Ketchikan include the Craig Panthers, Petersburg Vikings, Wrangell Wolves, Mount Edgecumbe Braves and Kake Thunderbirds. The Sitka Wolves are not expected to attend this weekend's meet.
Results of the Bartlett Relays high school cross-country race, held Saturday on a two-mile course with obstacles at Bartlett High School in Anchorage.
1. Chugiak, 1 hour, 34 seconds; 2. Service, 1:00:44; 3. East Anchorage A, 1:00:49; 4. Dimond, 1:00:57; 5. West Valley, 1:02:05; 6. Juneau-Douglas A (Tyler Dinnan, Carly Craig, Wesley Dinnan, Greta Thibodeau, Tristan Knutson-Lombardo), 1:02:20; 7. East Anchorage B, 1:02:48; 8. Valdez, 1:03:11; 9. Seward, 1:03:23; 10. Kenai, 1:04:16.
Other Juneau teams
13. Juneau-Douglas B (Tim Davin, Jordan Harvey, Justin Jones, Jordan Moser, Brian Smith), 1:04:32; 23. Juneau-Douglas C (Tim Peterson, Tim Meiners, Grant Zwingelberg, Owen Kelley, Raymond Huebschen), 1:07:05; 27. Juneau-Douglas D (Greg Frank, Jaci Hayden, Evan Thibodeau, Gaby Wahto, Nils Domke), 1:07:48.
Top 10 boys
1. Jeff Quickel, Dimond, 10:37.60; 2. Jesse Cherry, Chugiak, 10:40.00; 3. Peter Doner, Colony, 10:56.60; 4. Trevor Baldwin, Kenai, 11:03.10; 5. Justin Singleton, Chugiak, 11:06.30; 6. Stig Yngve, Kodiak, 11:06.90; 7. Tristan Knutson-Lombardo, Juneau-Douglas, 11:07.50; 8. Ryan Beckett, Service, 11:11.00; 9. Tony Tomsich, West Valley, 11:19.10; 10. Brell George, West Anchorage, 11:20.10.
Other Juneau boys finishers
11. Tyler Dinnan, 11:21.40; 16. Tim Davin, 11:29.00; 41. Wesley Dinnan, 11:59.80; 55. Brian Smith, 12:15.20; 70. Greg Frank, 12:26.10; 89. Justin Jones, 12:38.60; 90. Nils Domke, 12:39.10; 93. Evan Thibodeau, 12:40.40; 104. Raymond Huebschen, 12:53.30; 116. Grant Zwingelberg, 13:05.20; 121. Tim Peterson, 13:08.80; 131. Owen Kelley, 13:14.60; 188. Tim Meiners, 14:43.10.
Top 10 girls
1. Juliane Smith, Service, 12:03.00; 2. Ari Goldstein, Soldotna, 12:07.00; 3. Whitney Anderson, Seward, 12:20.90; 4. Leah Besh, East Anchorage, 12:34.40; 5. Katie Franzmann, Soldotna, 12:50.00; 6. Aleta Phelps, Homer, 13:04.60; 7. Brittney Muma, Chugiak, 13:06.40; 8. Katelyn Stearns, East Anchorage, 13:08.40; 9. Liz Quinley, East Anchorage, 13:20.50; 10. Jessica Allman, East Anchorage, 13:24.00.
Juneau girls finishers
21. Carly Craig, 13:52.60; 23. Jordan Moser, 13:56.70; 24. Greta Thibodeau, 13:59.00; 36. Jordan Harvey, 14:13.40; 43. Jaci Hayden, 14:17.50; 112. Gaby Wahto, 15:45.20.
Juneau Empire ©2013. All Rights Reserved.