Around the state

Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2000

City dog fees increased

JUNEAU - It will cost a little more to own a dog in Juneau.

The Juneau Assembly on Monday raised dog license fees and fines for having dogs at large. The Gastineau Humane Society estimated the higher rates will bring in $23,000 more a year.

Specifically, the annual dog license fee was raised to $35 from $25 for each dog over 6 months old. There is a lower fee for spayed females and neutered males. It was raised to $15 from $10. The fee for boarding an impounded animal will be $10 a day, up from $6. Those new fees are effective now.

The assembly also raised the fine for having a dog at large to $30 from $25 for the first offense, and to $60 from $50 for the second offense. The fine for further offenses remains at $100. The new fines take effect in 30 days.

MADD meets to form local chapter

JUNEAU An organizational meeting for Mothers Against Drunk Driving will be held at 7 tonight in the City Hall first floor conference room. The purpose of the meeting is to form a Juneau chapter.

The chapter formation process has three phases; tonight's meeting will address the second, the education packet. The packet contains 40 questions, which members will use to interview members of the community who deal with drunken driving. When interviews are complete, members will meet again, compare notes and prepare paperwork to be sent back to MADD headquarters.

"It's an important (meeting) in that we now begin the path to educating ourselves," said Cindy Cashen, leader of the chapter organization. "We're now going to set our goals, our own personal goals for the community."

One of them, she added, will be to become a recognized chapter by the time the Legislature begins its next session in January.

Soldier found guilty in boy's death

FAIRBANKS A military court-martial panel on Monday found a Fort Wainwright soldier guilty of unpremeditated murder in his stepson's death.

A military panel of four officers and three enlisted men began deliberating Sunday on whether Army Sgt. Scott Buber was guilty of striking and killing 4-year-old Ja'lon Jercorious Johnson.

The panel also found Buber guilty of assaulting the boy and making false statements to two Army Criminal Investigation Division agents immediately after the boy was injured. Buber was expected to be sentenced today. He could face life in prison.

Defense attorney Chris Zimmerman said in his closing argument that the boy's death was the culmination of head injuries he sustained from a fall downstairs at the family's Fort Wainwright home on Nov. 16, 1999, and an accident as the father and son were playing football two weeks later.

Capt. Richard Rivera argued for the prosecution that Buber injured his stepson. "The accused was stressed out," Rivera said. "He succumbed to all this stress, and he snapped."

The boy died at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage 10 days later of severe blunt head trauma. "Only abusive force can lead to those injuries," Rivera said in his closure.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us