Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2000

Malaspina shifting to the Bellingham run

JUNEAU - The state ferry Malaspina will be shifted to the Bellingham-Skagway route after it ends service in Northern Lynn Canal on Sept. 10, Alaska Marine Highway Operations Manager Capt. Norm Edwards said.

That will free the Matanuska to return to its Prince Rupert-to-Skagway run, Edwards said.

The Matanuska has been filling in for the Columbia after an engine room fire in June. The fire resulted in a variety of schedule changes in Southeast ferry runs.

UAS continues registering students

JUNEAU - It's not too late to register for fall classes at the University of Alaska Southeast. Classes start Sept. 5.

Students may register from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at the Auke Lake campus. Extended hours to 8 p.m. will be offered Thursday, Aug. 24, and Tuesday, Aug. 29. Registration will run until 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 31, and Friday, Sept. 1.

Students who have previously taken classes may register by phone at 465-6305 or, if calling from out of Juneau, at (888) 547-0440.

Registration for computer and technology classes will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26 at the Nugget Mall. Faculty will be available to answer questions.

Court martial panel sentences soldier

FAIRBANKS - A Fort Wainwright soldier was sentenced Tuesday to 33 years in prison for murdering his 4-year-old stepson last year.

Sgt. Scott Buber was found guilty by a six-member military jury on Monday on charges of unpremeditated murder, assault and battery on a child and making false statements to two Army investigators.

Ja'lon Johnson died in December from severe head injuries, which Buber claimed were due to a combination of a fall down stairs at the family's home and an accident while playing football.

Buber, from Killeen, Texas, was assigned to the 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade at Fort Wainwright, near Fairbanks. He was a chemical operations specialist.

The charges came after Buber couldn't wake up the boy on Nov. 29. Buber took him to Bassett Army Community Hospital at Fort Wainwright, where CAT scans discovered he was suffering from head trauma.

The boy was airlifted to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage and died Dec. 9. The court-martial began Aug. 15, with the jury starting its deliberations on Sunday.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us