The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Planetree is moored to the Coast Guard dock in early 1982. The ship was stationed in Juneau from 1974 to 1985. It was decommissioned in 1999 after a long career including service in World War II, the Korean and Vietnam wars. It was built by the Marine and Iron Shipbuilding Co. and entered service in 1943. It was stationed in many different ports from Guam to the Great Lakes, Honolulu, Juneau and Ketchikan.
Juneau Empire ©2013. All Rights Reserved.