Anchorage police arrest man suspected of being serial rapist

Man believed to be tied to at least 4 attacks

Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005

ANCHORAGE - A man suspected of being a serial rapist in the attacks on several women in Anchorage has been arrested, police said.

Timothy Paul Barrickman, 39, is suspected in at least four attacks, and police say there could be more victims. He's been charged with five counts of first-degree sexual assault, one count of kidnapping, one count of second-degree assault, one count of second-degree sexual assault, and one count of first-degree attempted sexual assault.

He was being held Wednesday at the Anchorage jail on $150,000 bail.

In each of the cases involving the four women, Barrickman offered the victims a ride in his car as they walked alone, according to the charging documents filed in Anchorage District Court.

Assistant District Attorney Taylor Winston said, "These women were either intoxicated or in a solo situation or in need of something, whether it be a ride or whatnot."

"These women are trusting, and a person comes along and seems fine and they accept (his) help because he doesn't look like the kind of guy he really is."

The women were between 35 and 48 years old.

Two of the victims told police they were choked. One woman told investigators, "He kept squeezing and squeezing, I thought he was going to kill me. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't talk ... I kept begging him to stop," according to the charging documents.

Another victim told police he "kept saying to her that 'he was very sorry' and that 'he had to do it,'" the documents say.

Barrickman was arraigned Wednesday in Anchorage District Court.

According to the charging documents, Barrickman is married and said he would pick up prostitutes two to three times a month. He told police that "picking up strangers for sex excites him," the charging documents say.

In each case involving the rape and assault charges, Barrickman approached the woman in his vehicle and said he would give her a lift back home. Instead, police say, he drove to a spot of his choosing and attacked her.

The attacks took place in the middle of the night and during the day. Sometimes the attacker used violence, sometimes not. Two women were choked; two women were handcuffed.

Barrickman is accused of raping all but the first victim. In March 2003, when he drove the woman to Ship Creek Avenue and assaulted her, he was interrupted by a railroad officer. Barrickman told police at the time that he had paid the woman for sex. She said she had not consented to the sex.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us