Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2000

Injured teen returns to Juneau from hospital

JUNEAU - Victoria Butler, the teen-ager injured in a single-vehicle accident near Glennallen Aug. 23, has returned to Juneau with her mother.

The Empire was given incorrect information, which appeared in Friday's paper, that Victoria, 17, had suffered a fractured vertebra. That diagnosis mistakenly was made at the Glennallen clinic immediately after the Wednesday evening crash, said her mother, Pam Butler. The initial diagnosis was reversed Thursday when a full CAT scan was done at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage.

Pam and Victoria arrived in Juneau on Friday.

"She has a lot of bruises," Pam said of her daughter. "Mentally she is very upset, but she is doing really well physically."

The driver of the car, Krista Hulse, 17, was killed in the crash. Hulse most recently attended Yaakoosge Daakahidi, the alternative high school program.

"The teaching staff and myself found her extremely poised, vibrant. She had an opinionated spirit but (her opinions were reached) with thought, observation and study," Principal Ronalda Cadiente said Friday.

A service for Hulse is scheduled for 7 p.m. today at Northern Light United Church.

Waterlogged tile in SOB falls near worker

JUNEAU - A small ceiling tile collapsed in an 11th-floor hearing room of the State Office Building this morning, underscoring an ongoing problem with water leaking from the roof.

Mark Handley, a senior hearing examiner with the Department of Revenue, wasn't injured when the tile collapsed behind him. But he had to vacate his office because of asbestos-containing material.

Brad Thompson, risk manager for the state, said the office was sealed off under federal guidelines dealing with asbestos. But there was no danger of airborne particles, given that the tile was saturated, Thompson said. He said he expected the cleanup and repair to be completed tonight.

George McCurry, Southeast building maintenance manager for the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, said he hopes to replace a 1,000-square-foot section of the roof where water seepage has been ongoing. But the work, estimated at $80,000, might have to wait until spring if there is not favorable weather, McCurry said.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us