Two Hoonah police officers shot, killed; suspect barricaded

Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010

For updates on the standoff, go to


Editor's note: All information in this story is updated as of press time Sunday night. The Alaska State Troopers' office stated in a release it did not expect to provide any further updates Sunday night, unless the standoff was resolved.


Two Hoonah police officers were killed Saturday night in Hoonah, according to a press release issued by the Alaska State Troopers' office.

Meanwhile, the suspect in the killings is "barricaded and contained," the release states. The release did not specify where the suspect was, but warned the public to avoid Front Street in Hoonah. An updated press release from the state troopers' office, received at the Empire at 6:10 p.m. Sunday, stated the standoff was still ongoing.

"We are offering up our condolences and our support to the community of Hoonah however we can," said Audie Holloway, Director of the Alaska State Troopers, in the release. "Sadly, two police officers lost their lives. We hope to end this standoff without any further tragedy."

Bob Prunella, acting city administrator for Hoonah, told The Associated Press the stalemate between law enforcement and the suspect, 45-year-old John Marvin Jr., could be lengthy. A warrant has been issued for Marvin's arrest, the release states.

The police officers killed have been identified as Sergeant Anthony Wallace, 32, and Officer Matthew Tokuoka, 39.

The release does not state the method of death, however, a source within the troopers' office, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the officers were shot to death. The AP is also reporting the death as a result of a shooting.

The men died from gunshot wounds after being allegedly ambushed, the source confirmed.

No motive has been determined in the killings. However, last year Marvin was carrying an unloaded rifle through Hoonah, threatening the community, Tokuoka's father-in-law George Martin said. Wallace and Tokuoka had to use a stun gun to subdue and arrest him, Martin said.

The Juneau Police Department's SWAT team responded to the scene in Hoonah, and joined the efforts of both the troopers and the Coast Guard, the release states. The Coast Guard transported the JPD team to Hoonah by boat, and transported one of the then-wounded officers to Juneau, the release states.

"My deepest condolences go out to the officer's families, to the Hoonah Police Department and to the community of Hoonah," said Department of Public Safety Commissioner Joe Masters, in the release. "I want to provide a sincere thank you to all the entities that have come together to assist in the response to this terrible incident."

Martin told the AP he heard two shots, both of which hit Wallace. Tokuoka, along with his wife and children, had just left Martin's house when the shots were fired, the AP reported. Tokuoka told his wife and children to leave the area, and then he was shot as well, Martin said, according to the AP.

"It's pretty tough right now," Martin said to the Empire. "My daughter had a long, hard night. Matt was a very good boy. Now I really have to be a grandfather."

The officers' deaths will leave Hoonah with just two police officers, the AP is reporting. Officers from nearby Wrangell will help with police work in Hoonah for now, according to the AP.

Additionally, the state troopers will provide additional forces in Hoonah as well, the release states.

• Contact Klas Stolpe at 523-2263 or at

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us