Saturday, Sept. 1
* Southeast Road Runners club -- Prostate Cancer Run for Men: Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Mendenhall River Elementary School for 8 a.m. race start. Course is five kilometers (3.1 miles) and race is for men only (women see next entry). Race is a benefit for prostate cancer research. Info: Merry Ellefson, 586-1692, or John and Peggy McConnochie, 789-2181, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Southeast Road Runners club -- 'Beat the Odds' Women's Race Against Breast Cancer: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Mendenhall River Elementary School for 9 a.m. start. Course is five kilometers (3.1 miles) or two miles for walkers, and race is for women only (men see previous entry). Race is to benefit breast cancer research. Info: George Elgee, 789-3178, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Yacht Club -- Rum Cup Challenge, Legs 7-8, Saturday and Monday: Final round of a four-round competition. Skippers' meeting 8 a.m. at Harbormaster's Office, Aurora Harbor, race starts 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Mayflower Island, near Douglas Harbor. Saturday's leg finishes at Taku Harbor. Sunday is a layover day with a dock party. Monday's leg starts at 10:30 a.m. at Taku Harbor and finishes near Sheep Creek Light. Info: John Stone, 364-4663, or on the Web at http://www.juneausailingclub.org.
Sunday, Sept. 2
* Juneau Alpine Club -- This week's trek is a 20-mile high-energy output overnight trip to Nugget Peak. Required gear includes ice ax, crampons and overnight campiing gear. Info: Trip leader Tim Arness, 789-9119.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 4, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club fall meeting -- A general membership meeting takes place at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 4, in the Mendenhall Library Conference Room. Members willreview the most recent cycling season and will address concerns for next summer. Info: Dave Ringle, 790-7249, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Travel funds needed -- Excalibur Drilling and Blasting, the Juneau Softball Association's Men's Division 1 champions this summer, is raising funds to travel to the National Slowpitch Softball World Series Qualifying Tournament on Sept. 20-23 in Portland, Ore. Contributions for travel are tax deductible. Info: Chris Collum, team manager, 780-4047 home, or 789-6500 work.
* Volleyball and basketball court rentals -- Court time is available on Saturday mornings at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. Credit card payments are accepted by phone or at the community schools office (in the Harborview Elementary School basement). Office hours are from 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Info: Joyce Kitka at Community Schools, 463-1700, Ext. 325.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation gym rentals -- Rental reservations for Mount Jumbo Gymnasium and Terry Miller Gymnasium will be accepted by the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation. Mount Jumbo will open Sept. 4, and Terry Miller is open now. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Aug. 31 and Sept. 7) and on Sundays (Sept. 2) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Sept. 1 and Sept. 8) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games -- Pick-up games will take place at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park from 7-10 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 2 and Sept. 30. Additional times may be announced as they become available. Players should bring a light and a dark shirt. The fee is $20 for new players and $10 for members of the Ultimte Players of Southeast Alaska. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.