Hunting: The following are items of note for local hunters.
Emergency doe harvest closure ordered for Northeast Chichagoff Island, Game Management Unit 4 to allow for the recovery of the Sitka black-tailed doe deer population, according to a release from the state Department of Fish and Game. This area is also closed to subsistence hunting. This closure takes effect at 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 14, and will remain in effect through December. The subsistence closure will remain in effect through Jan. 31, 2011.
Unit 4 includes the portion of Chichagoff Island east of Port Frederick and north of Tenakee Inlet, including drainages into Tenakee Inlet. Three bucks is the bag limit for resident, nonresident and subsistence open seasons.
All other deer hunting regulations in Unit 4 are not affected by the emergency order.
More information can be found on the organizations' websites: ADF&G, wildlife.alaska.gov/index; Federal Subsistence Management program, alaska.fws.gov/asm/index.cfml.
Gustavus moose management public meetings are scheduled in Juneau and Gustavus. These meetings will be held to discuss the new hunt and the current Gustavus herd status. Other topics will include antler configurations to look for and avoid, and education on what makes a legal moose.
• Juneau: 7-9 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 8, Centennial Hall, Egan Room.
• Gustavus: 7-9 p.m., Monday, Sept. 13, Gustavus School.
The 2010 Gustavus bull moose hunt will be managed under a selective harvest strategy. Bull moose are legal to harvest if their antlers meet the following requirements:
• Spike antler on at least one side, or
• Forked antler on at least one side, or
• Three brow tines on at least one brow palm, or
• Total antler width of 50 inches or greater.
For more information call the state Department of Fish and Game Douglas Area office, 465-4265.
Parks & Recreation: The following regional state parks and areas will begin winter operations on the following dates:
• House of Wickersham: Sept. 15.
• Eagle Beach SRS campground: Sept. 20.
• Chilkat SP campground, Haines, fully closed: Sept. 26.
• Portage Cove SRS campground, Haines, no maintenance: September.
• Mosquito Lake SRS campground, Haines, no maintenance.
• Chilkoot Lake SRS campground, Haines, fully closed: Oct. 17.
For more information regarding local and regional park closures, call Southeast Area office, 465-4563.
Sunday, Aug. 29 was the last day of the 2010 Alaska Department of Fish and Game creel survey season in the ports of Craig, Wrangell, Petersburg, Gustavus, Elfin Cove and Yakutat. Skagway's sampling will end Sept. 6, and the creel surveys in Ketchikan, Sitka and Juneau will end on Sept. 12.