Standoff ends with surrender

Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005

A standoff that began Friday night ended peacefully early Saturday with the arrest of a man who surrendered to the Juneau Police Department without incident.

Police responded to a downtown apartment building shortly after 10 p.m. when a 28-year-old man reported a man pointed a gun at him. Police arrested Michael Lawrence Walters on charges of felony third-degree assault and misdemeanor fourth-degree weapons misconduct, alleging he was intoxicated while in possession of a firearm. They lodged him at the Lemon Creek Correctional Center.

"We responded, took action and subsequently took the subject with nobody being injured. Everything went as we like it to," said police Sgt. Ed Mercer.

The confrontation began when Walters allegedly yelled obscenities at two women who had asked him to keep an eye on his dog that was roaming the building, police reported.

The 28-year-old man, who observed the initial confrontation, then yelled at Walters, according to the report. After putting his dog inside his residence, Walters allegedly came out with a rifle or shotgun and pointed it at the victim.

Police arrived within minutes of the call and were speaking with the victim in his apartment when Walters allegedly came out of his residence and brandished a gun as he faced the victim's apartment and yelled. Walters then retreated back into his residence and police set up a perimeter around the suspect's home.

Franklin Street from Marine Way to Ferry Way was closed for several hours and the Glory Hole shelter was temporarily evacuated. Officers of the Special Emergency Response Team and the Crisis Negotiation Team were called to the scene to assist, police said.

A police negotiator spoke with the suspect on the phone and he surrendered without incident at around 4 a.m., said Mercer.

"We just went on protocol. We made phone contact with the suspect and had him come out and talk with officers, at which point he was taken into custody," he said.

Mercer said that from his experience the length of the standoff was fairly typical for this type of situation in Juneau.

Walters was home alone at the time of his surrender, with the exception of two dogs that were taken to the Gastineau Humane Society.

• Eric Morrison can be reached at

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us