Basement fire causes $25K in home damage

Blaze ousts Valley family, kills two birds

Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002

The family living in a Mendenhall Valley home that caught fire Thursday evening was displaced but uninjured by the blaze.

Around 6 p.m. Capital City Fire and Rescue responded to the fire on Chelsea Court near Back Loop Road after an off-duty Alaska State Trooper saw heavy smoke coming from the house, said fire Capt. Jerry Godkin.

About 25 firefighters arrived with two engines, an ambulance and a salvage truck.

The fire was confined to the garage, which was underneath the living area of the house, said fire Capt. Dave Boddy. The fire was quickly put out and the home ventilated, Godkin said.

Two dogs were rescued uninjured from the garage. But two birds upstairs in the house died of smoke inhalation, Godkin said.

The family, which is renting the home, was not there at the time. Godkin said the family, which includes two children, is staying with neighbors.

The home had about $25,000 in damage, with the garage sustaining the worst of it, Godkin said. The upstairs portion of the home also had some smoke damage.

Godkin said the source of the fire seems to be the electric water heater, which is in the garage.

Melanie Plenda can be reached at mplenda@juneauempire.com.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING