Fight lands one UAA hockey player in jail, another in the hospital

Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004

ANCHORAGE - The captain of the University of Alaska Anchorage's hockey team was charged with assault after breaking a teammate's jaw with a punch.

Lee Green was charged with assault Sunday. UAA officials said he punched Brett Arcand-Kootenay.

Green was in custody at Anchorage Correctional Complex East on Monday, according to a booking officer. His bail was $2,500.

UAA officials said Green punched Arcand-Kootenay in the team's locker room at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex about 9 a.m. Sunday. The Seawolves had gathered to undergo their annual orthopedic examinations and have pictures taken for the team's media guide.

UAA assistant trainer Kevin Lechtenberg said Arcand-Kootenay told him he was evaluated in the emergency room at Alaska Native Medical Center and diagnosed with two fractures of his jaw. UAA athletic director Steve Cobb and UAA hockey coach John Hill said Arcand-Kootenay will undergo surgery.

Green has been suspended indefinitely from the team, and a decision regarding his status will be made soon, Cobb said Monday.

"We are disturbed that such a regrettable incident has occurred between two of our student-athletes," Cobb said.

Hill spoke to both Green and Arcand-Kootenay but would not reveal what prompted the altercation.

"I haven't talked to anyone (else) who was there and saw what happened," Hill told the Anchorage Daily News by cell phone from Minnesota, where he is recruiting. "I've talked to Lee and Brett and Kevin, and both sets of parents. I think we're trying to sort it out and we're concerned with Brett's health, and with Lee as well.

"It's a lose-lose-lose, whatever happened."

Green, 22, of Soldotna, is a 6-foot-2, 216-pound senior defenseman in his second season as UAA's captain. Arcand-Kootenay, 21, of St. Albert, Alberta, is a 6-0, 186-pound sophomore center.

Hill said he was uncertain what repercussions there will be for the players involved or for the team.

"I'm just trying to, I guess, make sense of this," Hill said. "We'll deal with it as time goes on. This is a serious issue and there will be ramifications, we just don't know what they'll be yet."

The Seawolves do not begin official on-ice practices with coaches until October but have been lifting weights and skating together since school started earlier this month.

Hill said Green was "extremely upset, very remorseful and extremely down." Hill said his conversation with Arcand-Kootenay included Arcand-Kootenay's explanation of the circumstances of the incident.

"We'll worry about both of them, and support both of them," Hill said. "But we're going to have one young man in the hospital today and one in jail.

"This is not good for anybody."

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us