Alaska Digest

Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Man indicted for alleged drunken driving death

JUNEAU - The driver in a Sept. 2 accident that left a Haines man dead has been indicted on a manslaughter charge.

Raymond Pardee, 23, was accused of drunken driving in the accident that fatally injured Daniel Folletti, 20, who had been a passenger in the Chevrolet Suburban that flipped over at Union Street and Allen Road in Haines. The charge alleges Pardee recklessly caused Folletti's death.

After the early morning accident, Folletti was flown to Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, where he died of head injuries, Haines police reported.

In addition to the felony charge of manslaughter, the Juneau grand jury charged Pardee with a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Pardee also was charged with two misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment, alleging he placed two other passengers at substantial risk of injury. Haines police originally arrested Pardee on three counts of reckless endangerment, but the grand jury included only two in the indictment.

Under Alaska law, a manslaughter conviction would carry a sentence of up to 20 years in prison. The misdemeanors Pardee faces are among those in the state's most serious classification. Each could carry a sentence of up to one year.

Small fire extinguished in high school restroom

JUNEAU - A Capital City Fire and Rescue firefighter put out a small fire in a high school restroom shortly after 1 p.m. Monday.

Volunteer Division Chief Paul Smith said the fire was on the second floor of the Marie Drake Annex at Juneau-Douglas High School. He described it as very small, limited to a trash container. One firefighter extinguished it with a handheld extinguisher, he said.

No injuries were reported. Smith said students had been evacuated from the building by the time firefighters arrived.

A number of similar small arsons were reported at JDHS during the last school year.

Sexual assault charge against Barril dismissed

JUNEAU - State prosecutors have dismissed a first-degree sexual assault charge against a man arrested Sept. 1 in a case police learned of through a long-distance telephone call.

Rey Barril, 41, however, returned to the Lemon Creek Correctional Center after appearing in Juneau District Court. Judge Peter B. Froehlich told him he remains accused of violating his probation in two assault convictions.

With the most serious charge gone, Froehlich reduced Barril's bail from $100,000 to $10,000. Froehlich told him that his actions may have been severe enough to constitute a probation violation even if he is not prosecuted.

According to police and court reports, officers learned of the alleged crime from a man who said he received an Internet communication from a woman in Juneau. She said on Aug. 30 that she had been sexually assaulted by two men.

Police talked to the woman, who directed them to two men. Police arrested one that evening on a warrant out of Phoenix, where he was charged for failing to appear on drunken driving charges in November 2003. He was never charged with sexual assault.

Police arrested Barril the next night, based upon electronically monitored statements he allegedly made to the woman who had told police she was assaulted.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING