Around Juneau

Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2000

Cat rescued after fall from Imperial Hotel

JUNEAU -- An 11-week-old gray tabby used several of its nine lives Saturday when it fell from a window at the Imperial Hotel, but local rescuers successfully crawled and squirmed to the rescue.

Hotel resident Katherine Safford reported her pet's plight at noon. Rescue required two hours plus the Gastineau Humane Society, police and firefighters, said animal control officer William Clark Sr.

The cat fell 30 feet into a narrow gap between the hotel and Ben Franklin. In that gap lay sharp sheet metal and other debris. Rescuers gained access through a panel under the Imperial Bar.

"We wanted to send a special thank you to firefighters Mark Ormsby and Rick Duncan and to police officer Judith Clarke," said Clark. "Officer Clarke squiggled through all this rubbish and got the animal out."

Pickup of streets, parking lots today

Click here to view the correction.

JUNEAU -- Destination Juneau plans to scrub the city's face today.

"We're inviting as many members as can make it to meet at noon at Marine Park," said Betsy Fischer of the Foggy Mountain Shop. "We're going to hit the streets and highways and parking lots. We hope to pick up literally tons of garbage."

This is Destination Juneau's first year, so this is the cleanup's first year, Fischer said. However, her husband, Scott Fischer, the cleanup's main organizer, has a long relationship with Litter Free Alaska. A post-cruise ship cleanup sprouted naturally from that relationship.

"Picking up litter is one of Scott's pet things," Betsy Fischer said.

Litter Free will provide bags and orange safety vests. Alaska Marine Lines is providing trucks and trips to the landfill, Fischer said.

The cleanup will continue until 4 p.m. today. For late arrivals at Marine Park, there will be a coordinator present to make assignments. Rod Swope, Liv and Jack Cadigan and their daughter Tanya are other Destination Juneau members involved in the cleanup.

Paraglider likely to have surgery Monday

JUNEAU -- Local paraglider Julie Graves remains on an acute care floor at a Seattle hospital.

Graves, 42, fell about 50 feet while paragliding Thursday in the Mendenhall Valley. She was medevaced to Harborview Medical Center late that evening.

"She is in satisfactory condition. But we anticipate she still needs to have some orthopedic injury surgery, which probably won't happen until Monday," said Harborview's nursing supervisor.

"They sent her down from here because they wanted to do surgery immediately, but they have been so busy with emergencies that it's been three days," said Lois Graves, Julie's mother-in-law.

Lois Graves said she spoke to Julie on the phone Saturday. "She's doing much better. They removed some tubes," she said. "But the surgery will be very extensive; they have to rebuild her back."

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us