Friday, Sept. 28
* Juneau Tennis Association doubles tournament and youth clinic -- The JTA's Doubles Championship tennis tournament takes place Friday through Sunday, Sept. 28-30, at the Valley location of the Juneau Racquet Club. The tournament is open to all ages and has men's women's mixed and parent/child divisions. The entry deadline is 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 27, and the tournament is free for children age 18-younger and costs $15 per event for adults. A free tennis clinic for children age 18-younger takes place from 8-10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29, at the Valley location of the Juneau Racquet Club. The first 50 children registered will each receive a free Wilson tennis racket. Participants will learn basic tennis skills and etiquette. Info: JTA president Hassan Bani Saaid, 789-2181.
Saturday, Sept. 29>
* Juneau Yacht Club sailing races -- Fall Harbor Racing Series, Round Two: Races are noon to 4 p.m. at Juneau Harbor. Info: John Stone, 364-4663, or on the Web at http://www.juneausailingclub.org.
Sunday, Sept. 30
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- Southeast Alaska high-power rifle shooting event: Registration 8 a.m., shooting starts 9 a.m. at the Hank Harmon Rifle Range, Mile 2, Montana Creek Road. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or on the Web at http://go.to/jrpc/.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation youth basketball -- Coaches are needed in several age groups for the upcoming youth basketball season. Coaches are needed for age 10-11 boys, age 12-13 girls, age 12-13 boys and age 14-15 boys. The season runs from Sept. 24 through Dec. 8, with teams receiving three preseason practices, 10 games and weekly practice time. Interested coaches need to pick up a volunteer application from the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office at 155 South Seward Street. Info: Myiia Whistler, youth sports program supervisor, 586-5226, or by e-mail at Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 2, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Team manager packets for the 2001-2002 Ordway Basketball Leagues are available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office, Room 218 of the municipal building. Team registration takes place at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17, at the Assembly Chambers, with late registration available on Friday, Oct. 19, at the office. An additional $10 fee is charged for late registration for teams not sending a representative to the Wednesday meeting. Team space is limited. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Bowling league registration -- Registration is now open for fall bowling leagues at Channel Bowl, 608 W. Willoughby. A variety of leagues and league times available to match all schedules. Info: Channel Bowl, 586-1165.
Open Gyms / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Sept. 28) and on Sundays (Sept. 30) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Sept. 29) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games -- Pick-up games will take place at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park from 7-10 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30. Additional times may be announced as they become available. Players should bring a light and a dark shirt. The fee is $20 for new players and $10 for members of the Ultimate Players of Southeast Alaska. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us