Alaska Digest

Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Juneau man charged with theft in robbery

Sound off on the important issues at

JUNEAU - A Juneau man was arrested Monday on a charge of theft after being identified on video surveillance tapes.

Juneau police said 45-year-old Jerry Nelson was arrested in connection to the Sept. 22 robbery of a local business. Nelson was lodged in Lemon Creek Correctional Center with no bail.

According to police, they received a call on Sept. 23 from a local business owner who reported his business, and the one adjacent, had been robbed the night prior.

Video revealed that Nelson arrived at the scene first and was later joined by another male suspect, police said.

The two men took multiple items from both businesses. The stolen items included a crab pot cooker, hydraulic press and tank, two vintage vehicle radiators, an aluminum sink, and some wire. The value of the stolen property was about $2,415.

At about 2:30 p.m. Monday, police searched Nelson's home on Fritz Cove road and found some of the stolen items. The investigation continues.

Airport to meet onrenovation, design

JUNEAU - The Juneau International Airport Board will hold two meetings on the airport renovation on Thursday.

The first meeting, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Aurora Room, will be a work session of Airport Board members, stakeholders and staff regarding the airport terminal renovation and expansion schematic design.

The second meeting, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Aurora Room, will be a public forum that will highlight the topics discussed in the earlier work session.

The public is welcome to attend either or both meetings. For additional information, call Catherine Fritz at 789-7821.

Search under way for missing fisherman

CORDOVA - A search was launched Tuesday for a fisherman who went missing after he failed to return from a fishing trip south of Cordova.

Steve Reutov's 32-foot aluminum boat was found damaged and overturned on the shoreline of a small island near Prince William Sound. However, there was no sign of Reutov.

A survival suit and life ring also were found on the beach, Coast Guard spokesman Kurt Fredrickson said. They may have been tossed from the boat when it ran aground, he said.

Reutov was due in Cordova at 6 p.m. Monday. At 9 p.m., his brother alerted the Coast Guard, which diverted a helicopter on a training flight to search the area around Egg Island, where the boat had been seen earlier in the day, Fredrickson said.

The Coast Guard found Reutov's boat around midnight.

By midmorning Tuesday, the Coast Guard was using a Jayhawk helicopter to scan waters to the west of the area. Alaska State Troopers used dogs to conduct a ground search.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us