Officers named in shooting probe

Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007

ANCHORAGE - Anchorage police have released the names of the two officers who fatally shot a 57-year-old man after a high-speed chase.

Sound off on the important issues at

Officers Doug Fifer and John Bolen fired multiple shots at Steven Douglas Callan after he refused to stop his stolen vehicle Monday and rammed patrol cars and civilian vehicles in a supermarket parking lot. The officers will be returning to full duty after three days' paid administrative leave, which is department policy after a police shooting, Lt. Paul Honeman said.

A passenger in Callan's vehicle, 33-year-old Jamie Smith, was shot in the left arm during the confrontation. She was treated and released from a local hospital. Honeman said Smith is being treated as a witness.

Smith said Callan did not have a gun. Police are not saying whether he did, but Honeman said Callan was using the vehicle as a deadly weapon.

Another officer, Derek Hsieh, was wounded in the abdomen during the shooting and was treated at the scene. Police believe a bullet may have ricocheted and struck his duty belt.

An investigation into the shooting is being conducted by the homicide unit and results will be forwarded to the district attorney's office. Police also will conduct a separate internal investigation to determine if the officers' actions were in line with department standards.

Earlier in the day of the shooting, the stolen Jeep Cherokee surfaced when it was involved in a theft at a department store. The vehicle eluded officers at that time.

When it was spotted near the intersection of Dimond and Arctic boulevards, Callan led pursuing officers on a high-speed chase west down Dimond, finally turning into the supermarket parking lot, police said.

Officers used their patrol cars to pin the Jeep in place, but Callan continued ramming them and two other parked vehicles. Police have not said how many times they fired at Callan.

Smith said she doesn't believe police made the right decision when they decided to use lethal force.

"There was no reason to shoot that many times," Smith said. "I was very lucky that they didn't kill me."

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us