Friday-Saturday, Oct. 5-6
* Juneau-Douglas High School volleyball -- The Crimson Bears host the Juneau Invitational Volleyball Extravaganza (JIVE) tournament, times and matchups TBA Friday and Saturday at Juneau-Douglas High School.
Saturday, Oct. 6
* Juneau-Douglas High School football -- The Crimson Bears host the Dimond Lynx in a first-round game of the state football playoffs, 7 p.m. Saturday at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park.
* Southeast Road Runners club -- East Glacier Trail 10K: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the trailhead just past Garnet Street (off Mendenhall Loop Road) for 9 a.m. race start. This is the last Empire Cup points race of the season. Info: JoAnn Quigg, 789-7549, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Juneau Alpine Club -- This week's trek is a high-energy climb of Mount Bullard, an eight-mile hike lasting about 10 hours. Required gear includes ice ax and crampons. Info: Trip leader Tim Arness, 789-9119.
* Juneau Yacht Club sailing races -- Fall Harbor Racing Series, Round Three: Races are noon to 4 p.m. at Juneau Harbor. Info: John Stone, 364-4663, or on the Web at http://www.juneausailingclub.org.
Sunday, Oct. 7
* Ultimate Players of Southeast Alaska -- UPSEA hosts a post-season tournament from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park, with four or five local teams and a team or two from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 2, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
* Juneau Sailing Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 4, at the Breakwater Inn. Info: On the Web at http://www.juneausailingclub.org.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Team manager packets for the 2001-2002 Ordway Basketball Leagues are available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office, Room 218 of the municipal building. Team registration takes place at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17, at the Assembly Chambers, with late registration available from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19, at the JDPR office. An additional $10 fee is charged for late registration for teams not sending a representative to the Wednesday meeting. Team space is limited. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation lifeguard training -- Mandatory pre-course session at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 25, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool. Course sessions are from 5:45-8:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 6-29, plus 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 17, and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 1. Participants must be at least 15 years old by the end of the course and must pass a swim test prior to enrolling. The cost includes a $52.50 fee payable to the City and Borough of Juneau for the course itself and a $46.95 fee payable to the American Red Cross for materials and certification. Info: Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool, 586-5325.
Open Gyms / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Oct. 5) and on Sundays (Oct. 7) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Oct. 6) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.