SITKA - October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. To celebrate the month the SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium's Breast and Cervical Health Program, Sitka Community Hospital, Brenner's Fine Clothing and Gifts, the Sitka Cancer Survivor's Society and other groups are teaming up to host several breast cancer awareness events in Sitka.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women regardless of race or ethnicity. If caught early, breast cancer is very treatable. Women can reduce their risk for getting breast cancer through regular health screenings and a healthy lifestyle. To learn more about breast cancer, go to www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/.
Highlighting the month will be:
• The Fourth Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Walk at 9 a.m. on Saturday. This is a free three-mile walk sponsored by the SEARHC Breast and Cervical Health Program and Brenner's Fine Clothing and Gifts. Participants who donate to the Sitka Cancer Survivor's Society receive a free gift. Registration begins at 8 a.m., or you can preregister at Brenner's. Participants should meet at the Brenner's parking lot on Harbor Drive. For more information, contact Susan at 907-966-8459.
• The "Path of Hope" Dedication at 6 p.m. on Saturday. This event is a special dedication, ribbon cutting and the lighting of a new sculpture, "Flame of Hope," designed by Steve Lawrie. The Path of Hope is located at Lower Moller Field. Refreshments will be provided by McDonald's and the Sitka Cancer Survivor's Society. For more information, contact Susan at 907-966-8459.
• A free women's health clinic from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 11. This is a clinic for busy women ages 18-64 with limited income or no health insurance. The clinic takes place at Planned Parenthood of Alaska's Sitka Health Center, 514 Lake St.. The health exam includes breast, Pap test and cardiovascular screenings. To make an appointment or ask questions, call the PPA Sitka Health Center at 907-747-3883.
• The inaugural "Hope Floats Cruise and Chocolate Extravaganza Auction" from 2 to 5 p.m. on Oct. 11. This event is a three-hour cruise donated by Allen Marine, in conjunction with Sitka Community Hospital. Proceeds benefit the Sitka Cancer Survivor's Society and the Sitka Community Hospital Infusion Department. Tickets are $40 and available at the Sitka Community Hospital Radiology Department. For more information, contact Ronda at 907-747-1727.
• The Sitka Community Hospital Mammography Department Dedication from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 17. This event is being held in conjunction with National Mammography Day, and Sitka Community Hospital will hold an open house to showcase its recently installed digital mammography equipment. This is the final step in achieving a "filmless" department. Refreshments will be available. For more information, contact Ronda at 907-747-1727.
To read this and other articles celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month,visit juneauempire.com/breast_cancer.
Juneau Empire ©2015. All Rights Reserved.