Today, Oct. 14
* Glacier Swim Club -- October Splash Meet: Glacier Swim Club hosts U.S. Swimming club teams from Southeast Alaska, races start 9 a.m. at Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool.
Thursday, Oct. 18
* Juneau Youth Football League -- Junior Division All-Star Tournament, Kodiak vs. Ketchikan, 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park Field No. 2.
Friday, Oct. 19
* Juneau-Douglas High School swimming and diving -- The Crimson Bears host Ketchikan, Sitka, Petersburg, Craig and Haines in the Juneau Invitational swim meets, races start 4 p.m. at Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool.
* Juneau Youth Football League -- Junior Division All-Star Tournament, Juneau vs. Ketchikan, 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park Field No. 2.
Saturday, Oct. 20
* Juneau-Douglas High School swimming and diving -- The Crimson Bears host Ketchikan, Sitka, Petersburg, Craig and Haines in the Juneau Invitational swim meets, races start 1 p.m. at Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool.
* Juneau Youth Football League -- Junior Division All-Star Tournament, Juneau vs. Kodiak, 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park Field No. 2.
* Juneau Alpine Club -- This week's trek is a medium-energy glacier walk, a three-mile hike lasting between five and seven hours. Required gear includes ice ax and crampons. Info: Trip leader Tim Arness, 789-9119.
Sunday, Oct. 21
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- NRA high-power rifle shooting event: Registration 9 a.m., shooting starts 10 a.m. at the Hank Harmon Rifle Range, Mile 2, Montana Creek Road. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or on the Web at http://go.to/jrpc/.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Team manager packets for the 2001-2002 Ordway Basketball Leagues are available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office, Room 218 of the municipal building. Team registration takes place at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17, at the Assembly Chambers, with late registration available from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19, at the JDPR office. An additional $10 fee is charged for late registration for teams not sending a representative to the Wednesday meeting. Team space is limited. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Scorekeepers are needed for the 2001-02 Ordway League basketball season, which opens Nov. 11 and runs through the first week of February. Scorekeepers are paid. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Basketball Officials meetings -- Local basketball officials will meet from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays, Oct. 10 through Nov. 7, at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. Anyone interested in officiating this weekend is encouraged to attend. Info: Mike Kelly, 789-9699.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation women's classic basketball -- Registration forms are due by Friday, Oct. 26, for the Women's Classic Basketball League. The league is open to women who want to play basketball, but are a little bit older, are new to the game or have commitments like children and jobs that prevent them from playing in the more competitive leagues. Preseason practices begin in November, and teams will play one game a week on Wednesdays for 10 weeks through January. The league costs $47.25 per player (including tax) and the fee covers player fees, a share of the team fees and a numbered t-shirt for each player. Registration forms are available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation offices in Room 218 of the municipal building downtown. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation lifeguard training -- Mandatory pre-course session at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 25, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool. Course sessions are from 5:45-8:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 6-29, plus 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 17, and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 1. Participants must be at least 15 years old by the end of the course and must pass a swim test prior to enrolling. The cost includes a $52.50 fee payable to the City and Borough of Juneau for the course itself and a $46.95 fee payable to the American Red Cross for materials and certification. Info: Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool, 586-5325.
* Juneau Ski Club -- Eaglecrest Ski Area season passes: Season passes are available for preseason purchase each weekend during October at the Nugget Mall. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays. Preseason purchases of season passes are discounted through Thanksgiving. Info: Juneau Ski Club hotline, 790-7223 (790-RACE), Eaglecrest Ski Area business office, 586-5284, or on the Web at http://www.juneau.com/eaglecrest/.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open badminton gym -- Meet from 8-10 p.m. every Monday and Thursday at Auke Bay Elementary School. Teenagers and adults encouraged to attend. All skill levels welcome. Bring a racket if you have one. Shuttlecocks provided. Gym fee is $3. Info: Info: Theresa Walden, 790-2499.
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Oct. 19) and on Sundays (Oct. 14 and Oct. 21) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Oct. 20) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.