Wednesday, Oct. 24
* Juneau-Douglas High School volleyball -- The Crimson Bears host the Ketchikan Kings in a make-up of a match originally scheduled for Sept. 14, time TBA (tentatively about 8-8:30 p.m.) at Juneau-Douglas High School gym.
Thursday, Oct. 25
* Juneau-Douglas High School volleyball -- The Crimson Bears host the Ketchikan Kings in a make-up of a match originally scheduled for Sept. 15, time TBA (tentatively about 6-6:30 p.m.) at Juneau-Douglas High School gym.
Friday, Oct. 26
* Juneau-Douglas High School volleyball -- The Crimson Bears host the Sitka Wolves, time TBA (tentatively about 6-8 p.m., after all-comers tourney) at Juneau-Douglas High School main gym. The Crimson Bears junior varsity and C Teams host the 12-team all-comers tournament, times TBA at JDHS main and auxiliary gyms.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation lifeguard training -- Mandatory pre-course session at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 25, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool. Course sessions are from 5:45-8:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 6-29, plus 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 17, and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 1. Participants must be at least 15 years old by the end of the course and must pass a swim test prior to enrolling. The cost includes a $52.50 fee payable to the City and Borough of Juneau for the course itself and a $46.95 fee payable to the American Red Cross for materials and certification. Info: Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool, 586-5325.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation women's classic basketball -- Registration forms are due by Friday, Oct. 26, for the Women's Classic Basketball League. The league is open to women who want to play basketball, but are a little bit older, are new to the game or have commitments like children and jobs that prevent them from playing in the more competitive leagues. Preseason practices begin in November, and teams will play one game a week on Wednesdays for 10 weeks through January. The league costs $47.25 per player (including tax) and the fee covers player fees, a share of the team fees and a numbered t-shirt for each player. Registration forms are available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation offices in Room 218 of the municipal building downtown. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Self defense for women class -- A.W.A.R.E. (Aiding Women in Abuse and Rape Emergencies) and the women of the Juneau Shotokan Karate Do Club will host a self defense for women class from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the A.W.A.R.E. shelter. The class costs $10 and pre-registration is required. Women should wear loose, comfy clothing, and they should bring a sack lunch. Young children must be accompanied by an adult. Info and directions to the A.W.A.R.E. shelter, 586-6623.
* Juneau Basketball Officials meetings -- Local basketball officials will meet from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays through Nov. 7, at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. Anyone interested in officiating this weekend is encouraged to attend. Info: Mike Kelly, 789-9699.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Scorekeepers are needed for the 2001-02 Ordway League basketball season, which opens Nov. 11 and runs through the first week of February. Scorekeepers are paid. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Ski Club -- Eaglecrest Ski Area season passes: Season passes are available for preseason purchase each weekend during October at the Nugget Mall. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays. Preseason purchases of season passes are discounted through Thanksgiving. Info: Juneau Ski Club hotline, 790-7223 (790-RACE), Eaglecrest Ski Area business office, 586-5284, or on the Web at http://www.juneau.com/eaglecrest/.
* Juneau Ski Club and Juneau Ski Patrol -- 48th Annual Ski Sale: Event takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3, at Centennial Hall. Admission is $1, children age 12-younger free. Sale equipment check-in takes place from 5-9 p.m. on Thursday-Friday, Nov. 1-2, and from 7:30-9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3. All sale items must have a minimum price of $5. Info: JSC hotline, 586-5740.
* Support Juneau musher Deborah Bicknell -- A fund-raising auction and dinner to help Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race entrant Deborah Bicknell of Juneau takes place from 5:30-9 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3, at the Thane Ore House. Tickets are $35 a plate (includes dinner, desert and two drinks). Info: Sara Bicknell, 790-4326, or Lisa Arehart, by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Juneau Empire ©2015. All Rights Reserved.