Alaska Digest

Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hearing set in Kenai election lawsuit

Sound off on the important issues at

KENAI - A court hearing has been scheduled in a lawsuit filed over conflicting results of this month's municipal election.

Three incumbents re-elected to the city council were not sworn in because voters also passed a term-limit ballot proposition with no grandfather clause included.

Re-elected on Oct. 2 were Kenai Peninsula Borough Assemblymen Gary Superman of Nikiski, Pete Sprague of Soldotna and Paul Fischer of Kasilof. But voters that day also approved Proposition 2, which established term limits on assembly seats and counted past terms retroactively.

The three were not sworn into office by other assembly members, assuming a lawsuit would be filed to sort out the conflicting election results.

Soldotna attorney Dale Dolifka filed that lawsuit Oct. 15, asking the court to seat the three winning candidates and rule that the term-limit provisions in Proposition 2 take effect next year.

A court hearing on the lawsuit has been scheduled for Nov. 2 in Kenai Superior Court.

Body dismembered, placed in freezer

ANCHORAGE - A man was killed with a frying pan, dismembered and then his body parts were bagged and placed in a freezer, police said.

The body of the victim, 38-year-old Terry Lee Jackson, was discovered Saturday when a woman went to open up her freezer, police said.

Authorities are still searching for the woman's grandson, 22-year-old Elmer Seetot, who shares the apartment with her.

A warrant charges Seetot with second-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

Police claim the murder happened after the two men drank and fought Friday night.

The grandmother, Ruth Seetot, told police she went to bed early Friday night because she hadn't been feeling well, but woke up briefly when her grandson came in. Later, she got up to use the restroom and saw reddish-colored water in the bathtub, but thought it might have been a dream, she told police.

The next morning, she told police her grandson was still there, but he was crying and was upset.

"I accidentally killed Terry," he told her, according to an affidavit. "He boxed me then I grabbed a skillet and hit him in the head."

Police were called, and found dried blood on the inside top edge of the chest freezer.

The affidavit says then they lifted a piece of linen and found a human head. A severed left foot was visible through a plastic bag, the affidavit says.

Jackson's identity was confirmed through fingerprints.

Man pleads guilty to federal drug charge

ANCHORAGE - A 21-year-old Anchorage man has pleaded guilty to a federal charge of distributing a controlled substance.

Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Christine Thoreson says Roosevelt Mallett sold more than 10 grams of crack cocaine on three separate occasions in June 2006.

He faces as many as 40 years in prison and/or a two million dollar fine when he's sentenced Jan. 31.

Thoreson is one of two prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney's Office who are funded by the Municipality of Anchorage to prosecute gang-related and violent crime cases.

Officials: Spill should be cleaned up soon

FAIRBANKS - State officials says the latest pipeline spill at Prudhoe Bay should be completely cleaned up week's end.

The idled BP flow line ruptured last week when it shifted during the restart of oil wells shut down due to electrical problems.

Nearly 2,000 gallons of mostly methanol, mixed with some crude oil and water, spilled onto a frozen tundra pond and a gravel pad from a pipeline.

Paul Laudka with the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation says the incident has resulted in little damage and there will be minimal environmental impact.

About 10,000 gallons of pond water and spilled material have been collected. The pond is being flushed with hot water to remove as much additional methanol and oil as possible.

Air National Guard commander starts job

EIELSON AIR FORCE BASE - The first female to command the Alaska Air National Guard has started her duties.

Brig. Gen. Deborah McManus also is the first female general in the Alaska National Guard.

She recognizes the need to a role model, but says she's doesn't focus on her gender.

She says from her perspective, "I'm just here to serve, and I'm a woman."

McManus has served in Turkey, Kuwait and Iraq, and most recently worked as chief of staff for Joint Forces Headquarters-Alaska.

McManus will serve as assistant adjutant general under Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general for the Alaska National Guard.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us