• In 1867, an Army post was established at Sitka, with Gen. Jefferson C. Davis in command.
• In 1918, Juneau was quarantined to help prevent the spread of Spanish influenza.
• In 1940, radio station KINY-AM moved into the Decker Building in downtown Juneau.
• In 1942, the Alaska Highway, Alaska's first land link with the United States, was announced open for traffic.
• In 1965, an underground nuclear device, with four times the power of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, was detonated beneath Amchitka Island in the Aleutians. The blast, registering at 5.7 on the Richter scale, lifted the island a few feet above ground zero.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us