Friday, Nov. 2
* Roughhouse Fridays boxing -- Bouts start 7 p.m. at Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall on Willoughby Ave. Bouts take place the first Friday of each month through April. Seats are $20 and $30. Info: Bob Haag, Big H Productions, 1-907-274-8575.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Basketball Officials meetings -- Local basketball officials will meet from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays through Nov. 7, at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. Anyone interested in officiating this weekend is encouraged to attend. Info: Mike Kelly, 789-9699.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult basketball -- Scorekeepers are needed for the 2001-02 Ordway League basketball season, which opens Nov. 11 and runs through the first week of February. Scorekeepers are paid. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Ski Club and Juneau Ski Patrol -- 48th Annual Ski Sale: Event takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3, at Centennial Hall. Admission is $1, children age 12-younger free. Sale equipment check-in takes place from 5-9 p.m. on Thursday-Friday, Nov. 1-2, and from 7:30-9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3. All sale items must have a minimum price of $5. Info: JSC hotline, 586-5740.
* Support Juneau musher Deborah Bicknell -- A fund-raising auction and dinner to help Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race entrant Deborah Bicknell of Juneau takes place from 5:30-9 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3, at the Thane Ore House. Tickets are $35 a plate (includes dinner, desert and two drinks). Info: Sara Bicknell, 790-4326, or Lisa Arehart, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Team Alaska tryouts for 2002 Arctic Winter Games -- Team Alaska representatives are still being selected in some sports for the 2002 Arctic Winter Games to be held on March 17-23. The 2002 Arctic Winter Games will have some events in Nuuk, Greenland, and some events in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada. The Arctic Winter Games take place every two years and features competition between Alaska, four Canadian provinces or territories, Greenland and two or three Russian regions. Most of the sports are for youth competitors, with events in arctic sports (Inuit and Dene games), alpine skiing, snowboarding, nordic skiing, snowshoeing, badminton, indoor soccer, table tennis, volleyball, basketball, curling, sled dog racing, gymnastics, hockey, speedskating and wrestling. The 2000 Arctic Winter Games featured competitors from Juneau in basketball, indoor soccer and snowshoeing. Info: John Estle, Team Alaska Chef de Mission, P.O. Box 83325, Fairbanks, Alaska, 99707, or by e-mail at email@example.com, or at Team Alaska's Web site, http://www.awg.teamalaska.org/2002/.
* Wings of America travel scholarship -- Wings of America is offering a sponsorship to the regional Footlocker cross country races for eligible Native American/Alaska Native junior/middle or high school runners. The sponsorship allows the reimbursement of up to $250 in travel expenses. Nominated runners need to complete a form with the help of their parents and cross country coaches so it can be submitted to the Wings of America office in New Mexico by Nov. 9. A 2002 Wings of America junior cross country team will compete at the USA National Cross Country Championships on Feb. 9-10 in Vancouver, Wash. Wings of America is a non-profit American Indian youth development program based in Santa Fe, N.M. Info: Anne Wheelock Gonzales, associate director, 1601 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, N.M., 87505, phone 1-505-982-6761, or by fax at 1-505-989-8995, or contact Duane Matt by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Yacht Club Sailing Squadron monthly sailing meeting -- Meet at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Breakwater Inn for monthly meeting and annual election of officers. Info: JYC Fleet Captain-Sail Damon Cruz, at 790-4564 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Juneau-Douglas High School baseball and softball meeting -- The Juneau-Douglas High School baseball and softball associations hold a joint annual meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 1, at Glacier Valley Elementary School. All parents of athletes interested in this year's high school baseball and softball programs should attend. Board vacancies will be filled during the meeting. Info: Mark Hickey, 789-9693.
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 6, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-9119.
* Juneau Ski Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 7, at Floyd Dryden Middle School for the monthly board and parent meeting. Info: Juneau Ski Club hotline, 790-7223 (790-RACE).
Open Gyms / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open badminton gym -- Meet from 8-10 p.m. every Monday and Thursday at Auke Bay Elementary School. Teenagers and adults encouraged to attend. All skill levels welcome. Bring a racket if you have one. Shuttlecocks provided. Gym fee is $3. Info: Info: Theresa Walden, 790-2499.
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Nov. 2) and on Sundays (Nov. 4) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Nov. 3) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us