http://racerealty.com/

Alarm turned off early in hotel fire

Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008

JUNEAU - A hotel fire alarm was cut off before firefighters discovered smoke, but no one was injured.

Fire officials said they responded to the Breakwater Hotel, near downtown Juneau, and found the alarm silenced by its owners.

But fire officials still discovered smoke on the second floor, and the alarm had to be reactivated.

Firefighters found heavy smoke coming out of the basement laundry room, the fire's source. Division Chief Rich Etheridge said firefighters found the small fire in a commercial dryer.

Guests returned to their rooms once the smoke had cleared about an hour later.

Etheridge said the situation should remind people not to silence an alarm until an entire building is searched and it's determined there has been no fire.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-523-2295
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2270
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING