State briefS

Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002

Students bring guns to school

ANCHORAGE - Three 14-year-old boys are in custody today after allegedly taking guns to a Bush Alaska school 115 miles northwest of Bethel and threatening to shoot other students, Alaska State Troopers said.

Tununak Village Public Safety Officer Ben Nukusuk told troopers the students brought a .22-caliber rifle and a pellet handgun onto the grounds of the Paul T. Albert Memorial School. He said the boys told him "they were tired of being picked on and were going to kill several students," according to a trooper press release.

Other students noticed one boy had a rifle down his pant leg and notified staff, troopers said. The school was able to lock the three boys out of the building and VPSO Nukusuk talked them into turning over the pellet gun, troopers said. The rifle was found hidden in a bathroom. No shots were fired and no one was injured.

Troopers from Bethel flew to the village Wednesday night and transported two of the boys to Bethel where they faced charges of terroristic threatening and misconduct involving weapons. The third student was taken to Bethel to be put into protective custody, troopers said.

Quake reported in North Pacific

ANCHORAGE - A strong quake was reported in the North Pacific early today.

There were no reports of the quake having been felt, nor causing any damage or injuries, said Guy Urban of the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer. Urban said the quake did not generate a tsunami.

The quake, which had a magnitude of 6.5, occurred at 6:14 a.m. It was centered about 190 miles south of Adak Island in the Aleutians. Adak is 1,300 miles southwest of Anchorage.

Urban said the earthquake was not an aftershock from the major 7.9 quake that shook Alaska on Sunday.

Man suffers burns from power lines

ANCHORAGE - A Wasilla man was severely burned after climbing a power line tower, Alaska State Troopers said Wednesday.

Michael Naczi, 41, was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on Wednesday morning with second- and third-degree burns over half his body, troopers said.

Matanuska Electric Association reported a major power outage at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. About an hour later, troopers received a call from a man who said he climbed an electrical tower near Point MacKenzie.

After climbing 30 feet, Naczi was knocked off the tower when electricity from the power lines arced, troopers said.

Naczi then walked about a mile to a fire station, where he used the emergency box to call 911.

The incident caused a two-hour power outage.

Compiled from Associated Press reports.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us