Halfway-house resident charged with sex assault

Gastineau Human Services inmate allegedly attacked

Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002

A developmentally disabled Gastineau Human Services inmate is being held without bail today at the state prison after allegedly attempting to rape another inmate while she slept in her bed Sunday morning.

Ryan Robert Hendrickson, 24, was arrested Sunday morning and charged with second-degree sexual assault, a felony, for an alleged incident at the Taku House, police said Sunday in a press release.

The Taku House is an apartment unit in Gastineau Human Services' halfway house complex in the Lemon Creek area. Taku is used to house mentally ill and developmentally disabled offenders, said Greg Pease, executive director of GHS.

Pease said Hendrickson's disability was caused by a severe head injury he sustained when he was younger. Hendrickson has been convicted several times in the past on sexual abuse of a minor and drug charges, Pease said.

"Developmentally, he is at about a third-grade level," said Pease. "He was in here because he relapsed a few months ago and went back to crack cocaine, which was a probation violation. He doesn't do well in the general population at Lemon Creek (Correctional Center) because he gets messed with because of his disability."

Pease said he wasn't sure when Hendrickson re-entered the GHS program or the last time he was in the halfway house, but said he did "really well with us the last time he was here."

The 21-year-old woman alleging the assault, whose name wasn't released, told GHS staff Sunday morning around 5:30 a.m. that she and Hendrickson were watching TV around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in her room, Pease said.

The woman woke up sometime between 2 and 2:30 a.m. Sunday to find Hendrickson lying on top of her, Pease said. With a blanket in between them, Hendrickson allegedly tried to have sex with her.

He allegedly got into her apartment through the unlocked front door, Pease said.

Police Capt. Tom Porter said today the woman told Hendrickson to "leave her alone" and he left the room without a word.

The woman did not have any obvious physical injuries and Hendrickson did not have a weapon, Porter said.

Pease said the woman may have waited to tell GHS staff because she called friends first to ask their advice. GHS staff and police said they are investigating the incident. Hendrickson had a court appearance today.

Melanie Plenda can be reached at mplenda@juneauempire.com.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us