Alaska Digest

Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004

Dorr found guilty in wife's slaying

ANCHORAGE - A jury has found Anchorage resident Bob Dorr guilty of first-degree murder in the 2002 shooting death of his estranged wife, Gail Dorr.

Jurors rejected the defense's claim that the death was a crime of passion, which would have reduced the charge to manslaughter.

The jury also found Dorr guilty of second-degree murder, kidnapping and misconduct involving a weapon.

The murder and kidnapping convictions each carry a maximum 99-year sentence.

The jury's verdict was delayed over deliberations of the rape charge against Dorr. But in the end, the state didn't have enough evidence needed to return a conviction on the charge, said jurors Janaan Kitchen and Dan Dickey.

Bob Dorr, 53, shot Gail Dorr, 46, three times in the back and head about 5 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2002, as she tried to escape from him at a gas station in the Spenard neighborhood of Anchorage.

He then shot himself twice in the head, destroying the hearing in his left ear but otherwise not seriously damaging himself.

Former monk named in sex abuse suit

FAIRBANKS - A lawsuit filed against the Fairbanks Catholic Diocese claims that a former Trappist monk sexually abused 28 boys in three western Alaska villages in the 1960s and 1970s.

The 28 anonymous plaintiffs from Hooper Bay, Stebbins and St. Michael allege Joseph Lundowski engaged them in oral sex, and many say they were forcibly sodomized and required to perform oral sex or masturbation on Lundowski.

In exchange, Lundowski gave them candy, money stolen from the collection plate, cooked food, baked goods, beer, sacramental wine, brandy and/or better catechism grades, according to the lawsuit, which represents one side of a legal argument.

The suit named the Fairbanks Catholic Diocese and the Society of Jesus Oregon Province and its Alaska subsidiary as defendants. Anchorage attorney Ken Roosa represents the plaintiffs. They are seeking more than $50,000 each in damages.

The lawsuit says Lundowski was transferred instead dismissed when problems began to appear.

The complaint claims the molestation continued until 1975, when Lundowski was caught in an illicit act with one of the boys.

Lundowski was dismissed from serving in the Fairbanks diocese and left the state. He is believed to be deceased.

Bob Groseclose, attorney for the diocese, said the diocese first learned of Lundowski when Roosa contacted the diocese last July.

The diocese has been unsuccessful in locating Lundowski or ascertaining whether he is alive or dead. He was reportedly ill after suffering a stroke in the early 1990s. He would be in his mid-80s if still alive.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us