Saturday, Nov. 17
* Juneau Gun Club -- Annual Thanksgiving Turkey Shoot, meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Juneau Gun Club range, Mile 0.5, Montana Creek Road, shooting starts at 10 a.m. Info: By e-mail at KTSKRAMER@aol.com.
* Juneau Alpine Club -- Winter skiing event TBA. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
Sunday, Nov. 18
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- NRA sporting rifle shooting event: Registration 9 a.m., shooting starts 10 a.m. at the Hank Harmon Rifle Range, Mile 2, Montana Creek Road. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or on the Web at http://go.to/jrpc/.
Sunday, Nov. 25
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- NRA highpower rifle shooting event: Registration 9 a.m., shooting starts 10 a.m. at the Hank Harmon Rifle Range, Mile 2, Montana Creek Road. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or on the Web at http://go.to/jrpc/.
Friday-Saturday, Nov. 30-Dec. 1
* Juneau-Douglas High School wrestling team -- The Crimson Bears host their only home meet of the season, the Juneau-Douglas Wrestling Pilot Invitational, Friday, Nov. 30 from 3 to 10 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 1 from 9 am. to 5 p.m. at the JDHS main gymnasium.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Women's Classic Basketball League skills clinic -- A skills clinic for Women's Classic Basketball League players takes place at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 14, at the Gastineau Elementary School gymnasium. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau Soccer Club U12 Boys competitive team -- The Juneau Soccer Club's U12 boys competitive team is holding winter indoor practices from 12:30-2 p.m. on Sundays, including Nov. 18, through March at Mendenhall River Elementary School. The team is open to boys in the fourth and fifth grades, and players must become members of Juneau Soccer Club to participate. The team will travel to tournaments in July and August, with travel team tryouts in early April. JSC membership costs $75 and JSC registrar Leslie Houston (364-2657) has more information. Info: Team manager Sally Saddler, 586-2398 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or coach Doug Badilla by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Team Alaska tryouts for 2002 Arctic Winter Games -- Team Alaska representatives are still being selected in some sports for the 2002 Arctic Winter Games to be held on March 17-23. The 2002 Arctic Winter Games will have some events in Nuuk, Greenland, and some events in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada. The Arctic Winter Games take place every two years and features competition between Alaska, four Canadian provinces or territories, Greenland and two or three Russian regions. Most of the sports are for youth competitors, with events in arctic sports (Inuit and Dene games), alpine skiing, snowboarding, nordic skiing, snowshoeing, badminton, indoor soccer, table tennis, volleyball, basketball, curling, sled dog racing, gymnastics, hockey, speedskating and wrestling. The 2000 Arctic Winter Games featured competitors from Juneau in basketball, indoor soccer and snowshoeing. Info: John Estle, Team Alaska Chef de Mission, P.O. Box 83325, Fairbanks, Alaska, 99707, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at Team Alaska's Web site, http://www.awg.teamalaska.org/2002/.
* Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Web site calendar -- Items for the 2002 Special Events Calendar are due by Monday, Nov. 26, at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office, second floor of the city building downtown. This calendar is posted on the Internet and contains special, one-time only events such as run, bike and ski races, skating events and other sports events. The calendars are distributed around Southeast Alaska and posted at http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/parksrec/. Info: Zach Gordon Youth Center manager Kristi West, 586-0456.
* Holiday Cup Competitive Indoor Soccer Tournament -- Registration packets are available on Friday, Nov. 2, at area schools and the law offices of Dillon and Findley, 350 North Franklin, for this tournament that takes place Dec. 23-31. Rosters must be received by Nov. 23. There are four coed divisions -- Elementary (age 9 by Dec. 15 through fifth grade), Middle School (grades 6-8), Juniors (high school students age 16-younger) and Open (ages 17-21). This event has no cost. Info: Leslie Houston, 364-2657, or Dillon and Findley, 586-4000.
Open Gyms / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Adult open badminton gym -- Meet from 8-10 p.m. every Monday and Thursday at Auke Bay Elementary School. Teenagers and adults encouraged to attend. All skill levels welcome. Bring a racket if you have one. Shuttlecocks provided. Gym fee is $3. Info: Info: Theresa Walden, 790-2499.
* Adult open volleyball/basketball gym -- Meet from 7-9 p.m. on Fridays (Nov. 16) and on Sundays (Nov. 18) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym fee is $4. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Youth open gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Nov. 17) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us