State Briefs

Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Woman sentenced for assault, DWI

JUNEAU - A woman accused of causing a drunken driving accident that seriously injured four of her five children received about six months in prison for the crime.

Annabelle Nashoanak, 25, was found guilty of felony third-degree assault and drunken driving, a misdemeanor, stemming from offenses of Dec. 22, 2001.

Juneau Superior Court Judge Larry Weeks sentenced her last week to four years on the assault charge, with three and a half years suspended, and 30 days, with 20 days suspended, for drunken driving. She was placed on probation for four years.

Nashoanak was charged originally with two counts of first-degree assault, one count of third-degree assault, all felonies, and one count each of reckless endangerment and drunken driving, both misdemeanors. If convicted, she faced a maximum of more than 20 years in prison.

The December accident occurred after Nashoanak and her estranged husband, Travis Nashoanak, had been drinking, authorities said. With four of their children in the vehicle, the couple went on a drive to look at Christmas lights.

Nashoanak's 8-year-old son sustained severe colon injuries and her daughter, 6, suffered severe facial lacerations. They were medevaced to a Seattle hospital and later released.

Nashoanak, who gave birth to a sixth child this summer, has been in an alcohol treatment program in Anchorage since May, authorities said.

Boy struck by van is in good condition

JUNEAU - A 13-year-old boy is at home in good condition today after he was struck by a van Monday afternoon.

Around 3:30 p.m. police received several calls reporting a boy had been struck by a Chevy Astro van as he crossed the street near the intersection of Egan Drive and Mendenhall Loop Road, police said in a press release.

Capital City Fire and Rescue officials said that when they arrived on the scene the boy was conscious and being attended to by bystanders.

A man, 44, was driving the van and told police he had the green light headed inbound on Egan at the intersection, but the boy ran in front of his vehicle, police said. Witnesses backed up the man's statement, police said. The boy was wearing headphones and a Walkman during the accident, police said.

Bartlett Regional Hospital spokeswoman Marijo Toner said the boy was treated for a cut to his forehead, a bump on his head and a possible concussion. He was released from the hospital around 7 p.m. Monday.

High winds limit flights in Juneau

JUNEAU - Three Alaska Airlines flights into Juneau were canceled by midday today because of high winds, according to the Juneau Airport manager's office. But some outgoing flights were able to depart.

The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory for Juneau, and forecasted winds gusting up to 50 mph for today and tonight. The Weather Service has forecasted gusts of 35 mph for Wednesday.

The Weather Service also issued a small-stream flood advisory for today.

Assembly works on lobbyist contracts

JUNEAU - The Juneau Assembly has started work to renew its lobbyist contracts.

The city has three lobbyists with one-year contracts - John Roots in Washington, D.C., and Clark Gruening and Jerry Mackie in Juneau, Deputy Mayor Ken Koelsch said. The Assembly discussed the issue in a closed-door session Monday.

"We want to go through and have an Assembly retreat and set the goals and objectives for the year and see how those dovetail with the strengths that each of our lobbyists have and negotiate the contracts," he said.

Koelsch said the Assembly seems to be leaning toward hiring all three lobbyists again and wants to get things in order before year end. The city isn't looking for new lobbyists, he said.

State flags lowered in memory of former legislator

ANCHORAGE - Gov. Tony Knowles ordered state flags to be lowered to half staff today in memory of former legislator Ed Naughton, who died Friday at 72.

Naughton represented Kodiak in the state House of Representatives in the 1970s.

Naughton was active in Kodiak politics, serving on the Kodiak Borough Assembly in 1969, and in the 1980s after serving in the state House. After retiring from public service, Naughton opened a small bakery in Chiniak on Kodiak Island.

Fairbanks man sentenced for choking his wife

FAIRBANKS - A Fairbanks man has been sentenced to six years in prison for twice choking his wife until she passed out.

Manus D. McKeehan, 33, was sentenced Monday on charges of second-degree assault, criminal trespassing and violating a restraining order.

McKeehan pleaded no contest to those charges in August in an agreement that dismissed charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault and first-degree burglary.

Man dies after fight in Dillingham

DILLINGHAM - A man died after a fight in Dillingham Saturday night, according to police.

When an officer responded to a call about a fight in some apartments, he saw 22-year-old Jesse Patrick Lockuk. A few feet away was Samuel Wassily Alakayak, 36, of Manokotak, lying on the floor with serious head injuries.

Alakayak was transported to the Dillingham hospital, and he died there while being prepared for a flight to Anchorage. Jesse Lockuk admitted stomping on Alakayak's head, police said. He was jailed on first-degree and second-degree murder charges.

Police said they suspect alcohol was involved.

Aniak man drowns in Kuskokwim River

ANCHORAGE - A 20-year-old Aniak man drowned over the weekend when his uncle drove a snowmachine into the Kuskokwim River, Alaska State Troopers said Monday.

Jesse Nick drowned in the mishap that occurred about 2 p.m. Saturday three miles upriver from Akiachuk, said Sgt. Dan Donaldson.

The uncle, Evan Nick, 30, and passenger Alexie Morris Jr., 28, of Bethel were on the snowmachine, towing Jesse Nick on a wooden sled. They were traveling from Bethel to Aniak.

Evan Nick has been charged with second-degree murder, driving under the influence and reckless endangerment, Donaldson said. Nick also was charged with weapons misconduct for carrying a .223-caliber rifle, Donaldson said.

Nick was arraigned Sunday and is being held in Bethel on $25,000 bail, Donaldson said.

Compiled from staff and wire service reports.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us