Alaska Digest

Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003

Police seek information on possible knife attack

JUNEAU - Police are looking for anyone with information about an apparent knife attack that occurred downtown on Wednesday.

Officers said two men were treated at Bartlett Regional Hospital for their injuries.

Anyone who knows what happened is asked to call police.

Officers reported receiving a call at 4:51 p.m. Wednesday about a man with a knife near Seward and Front streets. The caller said the man was bleeding from the throat.

Officers found a man, 46, on Shattuck Way, bleeding from a cut on his face. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Later, officers contacted another man, 43, on Willoughby Avenue. He had a cut on his hand and said he had been involved in an altercation near Front Street. He also was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Man sentenced to six months after drug plea

JUNEAU - A local man has been sentenced to six months in jail and 30 days for a probation violation after pleading guilty to a felony drug charge.

Joseph M. Cox, 30, originally was charged with third-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance after his June 21 arrest. He agreed to plead guilty to fourth-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance.

In June, the Southeast Alaska Narcotic Enforcement Team reported Cox was arrested on a marijuana possession charge after police received a report that a man was selling drugs downtown. SEANET obtained a warrant to search his travel bag and found about 109 doses of psilocybin mushrooms, the multiagency drug enforcement task force reported.

Tuesday, Juneau Superior Court Judge Patricia Collins sentenced Cox to two years in jail, with 112 years suspended. She ordered the unsuspended six months to be served in addition to 30 days she ordered Cox to serve for a probation violation.

Collins sentenced Cox to 330 days for the violation, with 300 days suspended.

She also placed Cox on probation for two years on the drug charge and for three years on the probation violation.

Collins dismissed a misdemeanor charge of sixth-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance.

The original third-degree charge would have carried a maximum sentence of 10 years. The fourth-degree charge carried a maximum sentence of five years.

Fortymile caribou hunt to open Saturday

FAIRBANKS - The Fortymile caribou herd has moved off the Steese Highway and hunters will finally get their shot at the Interior's largest caribou herd.

The winter hunt will open on Saturday after being suspended for five days because state wildlife officials were worried hunters would shoot too many animals.

An aerial survey on Wednesday revealed that the 10,000 or so animals wandering in close vicinity of the highway near Eagle Summit were spreading out and moving away from the road, said Cathie Harms, information officer for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Animal group prepares for possible boycott

ANCHORAGE - An animals rights group will go forward with a national tourism boycott of Alaska if it fails to win a lawsuit to stop hunters from shooting wolves from airplanes, its president said Thursday.

Priscilla Feral, president of the Darien, Conn.-based Friends of Animals, said she dreaded organizing a tourism boycott but would do it if it would pressure Alaska into ending its aerial wolf-control program.

"It is a lot of work and upsets a lot of people," Feral said of a boycott, as she prepared to leave Alaska after participating in a wolf-control debate here to be aired on television. "But the goal here is to change public policy and put pressure on the people responsible for establishing it. That is the Murkowski administration."

Gov. Frank Murkowski's spokesman, John Manly, said the governor appreciates the importance of tourism to Alaska, but isn't overly concerned about a boycott. He said it seems as if other states can do much more with predator control than Alaska without drawing national attention.

"Alaska seems to be under the microscope," Manly said.

Chirikof cattle moved off barge to pasture

KODIAK - The Humane Society of the United States called for federal officials Thursday to take immediate action to save cattle removed from Chirikof Island and left aboard a cramped barge at a Kodiak dock for days.

The barge was so crowded, the animals "had trouble lowering their heads or moving arund at all," the humane society said in a news release. "The situation prevented the cattle from being fed properly and many were not able to eat or drink," the release said.

Alaska State Troopers are investigating claims of neglect. At least two of the animals had to be killed after they fell during a storm and were stepped on by other cattle.

By early Thursday, the cattle had been moved off the barge to a private pasture at Middle Bay south of Kodiak, according to Greg Siekaniec, manager of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge.

Judge orders tracking device added to boat

JUNEAU - Two Ketchikan fishermen who pleaded no contest to charges of illegal commercial fishing will be required to install a global positioning system on their boat so authorities can keep track of their activities.

It's the first time the technology will be required as part of the prosecution of a commercial fishery violation, according to the Alaska Bureau of Wildlife Enforcement.

Ronald and Hughie Blake, both 33, will be required to continually operate the monitoring system aboard their vessel, the Hunter, during a five-year probationary period.

Judge Kevin Miller also ordered that if they sell the Hunter, they must install the equipment on any new vessel.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us