Looking northwest, the long-closed Jualin gold mine, about 44 miles northwest of dowtown Juneau, is shown with Lion's Head Mountain in the background. The Jualin was discovered by Frank Cook in 1895 and was first operated by the Jualin Mining Co. of Boonville, Ind. The mine operated intermittently between 1896 and 1901, and 1905 and 1908. Its mill had a daily capacity of 30 tons of ore. The mine was shut down because of problems with equipment and power. The mine produced 74,624 tons of ore, which was valued at $881,785.