A post-Thanksgiving fuel oil spill at Skagway's Recreation Center resulted in about 84 gallons spilled, said Grant Lawson, director of the city's Public Works Department.
Around 8:30 a.m. on Nov. 24, Dan Rossi, who was looking after the center while director Chelsea Nilsen was on vacation, found an outside pipe spewing fuel. He placed a garbage can under the spill to catch it.
Rossi called the Fire Department, and Fire Chief Martin Backner responded and turned off the valve.
Lawson said that the spill was due to a malfunction with the float switch on the fuel transfer system. He said it was lucky the ground was hard so the oil didn't have a chance to soak in.
Juneau Empire ©2015. All Rights Reserved.