Alaska Digest

Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Firefighters respond to smoke on N. Douglas

JUNEAU - Capital City Fire and Rescue crews responded at 5:37 a.m. Tuesday to a Douglas Highway residence undergoing a remodeling.

Although they encountered light smoke throughout the structure, apparently from the furnace area in the rear, the only damage they found appeared to be from water leaks, according to department reports.

Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters reportedly evacuated the only occupant of the building. They found a new pitched roof was being erected as part of the remodeling and there were several substantial leaks.

One of the leaks was over the furnace area, according to department reports.

Two engines, one ambulance and 17 personnel reportedly responded to the incident.

Two cut out of car after accident

JUNEAU - Emergency crews used the jaws of life Monday night to pull two people from a 2002 Toyota Corolla that flipped over on its roof near Egan Drive north of downtown and south of the Glacier Highway turnoff.

The accident was reported at about 9:25 p.m. After police and Capital City Fire and Rescue crews responded to the scene, a private tow truck stabilized the car to prevent it from rolling further.

Capital City crews then cut away the roof to pull out the 29-year-old female driver and a 38-year-old male passenger.

Both were taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital. Neither were identified but were listed as Juneau residents. Police reported the woman was treated for injuries and released while the man was kept at the hospital for evaluation.

Police reported the the car was outbound on Egan Drive approaching the Glacier Highway intersection when the driver lost control on the icy, snow-covered road. The car went into the median and flipped onto its roof.

The investigation continues. Police reported they suspect speed and alcohol contributed to the accident.

The Toyota was reported as a total loss and towed from the scene.

Game board moves ahead with wolf control

ANCHORAGE - The Alaska Board of Game is moving ahead with plans to expand lethal wolf control in the state.

Board members reaffirmed a plan Monday to kill about 40 wolves near the Interior town of McGrath and approved plans to kill about 100 wolves in the Nelchina basin early next year.

The board also paved the way for hunters on snowmachines to help out in the new wolf-kill programs after it approved radio and cellular telephone communication between ground and air.

The decisions were made during a teleconference held at the Department of Fish and Game in Anchorage. Outside, about two dozen protesters wearing wolf masks and waving signs demonstrated against the state's aerial wolf-kill program in McGrath.

The board also revisited nearly two dozen Western Alaska hunting and trapping proposals. On each issue, the board considered new information or testimony on the subject and then voted.

The board spent more than four hours on wolf control. Board chairman Mike Fleagle said the issues were given careful consideration because the board may have to defend itself in court.

"You know how these findings are being ripped apart by opponents of this program," he said.

Although state attorneys successfully defended the board's McGrath wolf-control plan in court last month, the board reconfirmed the program. It adopted written findings and supplemented its previous plan with additional information.

None of the basics of the McGrath plan changed. The state still wants private pilot-gunner teams to shoot 40 to 45 wolves in a 1,700-square-mile area near McGrath.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us