One more dead after Ketchikan house fire

Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007

KETCHIKAN - A third member of a Ketchikan family has died from smoke inhalation from a weekend house fire.

Sound off on the important issues at

Kristinenoell Credito Harris, 3, and Denbert Credito, 5, died at the scene of the fire that broke out early Saturday in the kitchen. Two adults in the building at the time escaped uninjured.

Bertolano Debertson Credito, 17, was taken to Ketchikan General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11 p.m. Saturday, Fire Chief Rich Leipfert said. Credito was a senior at Ketchikan High School.

Alysha Credito, who turned 12 on Friday, was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle but was later transferred to Children's Hospital. Because of privacy concerns, hospital officials on Monday would not release any information, including her condition.

Fire officials said the blaze was caused by unattended cooking.

Ketchikan police officers removed building owner Jeffrey Todd Williams, 26, through a window on the house's main level, Leipfert said. Williams was not hurt.

Lodivinia Credito, 40 - the children's mother and Williams' sister-in-law - was working at Ketchikan General Hospital at the time of the fire.

The children were at the top level of the house, a floor above the fire, Deputy Fire Chief Jim Hill said.

Willie Smith, who lives in a basement apartment, was wakened by his dog. Smith, 46, and the dog got out unharmed.

Police Officer Derek McGarrigan fractured his elbow while helping Williams out, Leipfert said.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING