4 sickened by carbon monoxide near Fairbanks

Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010

FAIRBANKS — Firefighters say a malfunctioning oil-burning furnace clogged a chimney with soot, flooding a rented house in the Fairbanks area with carbon monoxide and sickening four people.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports a fifth occupant of the house came home Monday afternoon in time to call 911.

Firefighters at the Steese Area Volunteer Fire Department say three people were unconscious and a fourth confused. All were hospitalized, but state troopers say they do not appear to be seriously harmed.

The fire chief says the gas level had probably been rising for a day and was high enough to be lethal within hours.

Firefighters say the house didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector or smoke detector.



Page not found | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Page not found

We're sorry, but the page you were seeking does not exist. It may have been moved or expired.  Perhaps our search engine can help. 

 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

X